Current Special Programs
We’ve designed our special programs to help students of all ages strengthen their executive functioning skills during the new school year. Our interactive sessions give students actionable strategies they can use in school and in their daily lives. Please use the Contact Us form below to get started.
The Fundamentals of Executive Functioning (EF)
Six weeks; registration is rolling
1:1 coaching; virtual and in-person format available
All ages; all content is modified in a developmentally appropriate way for each stage of learning
Virtual format: $795 Total
In-person format: $1,250 Total
Each option includes six 60-minute 1:1 coaching sessions
This customized program will equip your student with the executive functioning skills they need to tackle learning with confidence. Your expert coach will provide your student with a better understanding of the way they learn and with concrete organizational skills. Each 1:1 session will focus on selected skills associated with a different component of executive functioning. All sessions will incorporate mindfulness exercises and include time for reflection and troubleshooting from the weeks prior. Your expert coach will also email you and your student a summary of key takeaways following each session. This program is a great opportunity for students to receive a condensed organizational overview without the commitment of longer-term coaching.
- Session 1: Physical Environment – Study Space & Materials
- Session 2: Schedule Systems – Calendars & Reminders
- Session 3: Time Management Techniques – Understanding, Estimating and Tracking Time
- Session 4: Limiting Distractions & Procrastination Strategies
- Session 5: Critical Reading, Annotations & Note Taking Strategies
- Session 6: SMART Goal Setting, Visualization & Reflection
Mindfulness Theater Club
The duration of this program is five weeks. We will schedule Club meetings as soon as we reach the enrollment minimum.
Group format, conducted remotely via Zoom
All ages. We may organize two sections of this program based on the age distribution of the students who register.
$500 Total, which includes five 75-minute group sessions
The interactive group program will guide your student in developing an understanding of their own thoughts and feelings through meditative practices and theater techniques. Over the years, we have learned the benefits associated with guided meditations, meditative activities, and creative expression. Theater skills such as acting, playwriting and performing require components of mindfulness meditation such as concentration, active listening, and emotional memory. Our goal is to provide students with the foundational techniques to couple these two beneficial practices, which will guide self-expression and improve executive functioning skills. Led by one of our expert coaches, each session will focus on selected skills associated with mindfulness, executive functioning, and theater.
About Course Instructor Peter Halligan, MS:
Peter Halligan earned a Bachelor’s degree in childhood education and Master’s degree in special education from Touro College. He has been working with children in educational settings since 2007. Certified by the State of New York to teach both general education grades K-6 and students with disabilities grades K-6, he supports students with unique learning profiles while collaborating with school psychologists, counselors, social workers, and families. Peter has extensive experience creating and implementing interventions related to executive functioning skills such as planning, prioritization, organization, task initiation, time management, and sustained attention. As a member of the school district’s building leadership team, he works to create social emotional programs for students that will foster interpersonal skills and build a sense of community. In his spare time, Peter is a passionate actor, currently in his own third-tier intermediate acting class, a skill he brings to the Mindfulness Theater Club.
- Week 1: Introduction to mindfulness, acting basics and theater games
- Week 2: Mindfulness games, visualization activity and introduction to beginner scene work
- Week 3: Scene work continued, mindfulness activity, theater and improvisational games
- Week 4: Contentless scripts based on building a character, new meditation activity and intro to superhero yoga stories
- Week 5: Mindfulness game, visualization exercise, and scene work concluded
Writing Better Together
Registration is rolling.
We offer this program in group format with virtual meetings only. We also offer this program in individual format with either virtual or in-person meetings with our expert tutor.
Group format: $650
1:1 virtual format: $795
1:1 in-person format: $975
The program price includes four 60-minute sessions, a Writer’s Showcase during the fourth group session, and one supplemental 30-minute 1:1 coaching session.
In this supportive virtual workshop, students will progress together through the essential phases of essay writing: Brainstorming/Research, Outlining, Writing, and Revision. Students will conclude the course with a polished essay, a deeper understanding of the writing process, and a new-found confidence in their writing skills.
About Course Instructor Sarah Bernstein, MFA:
Sarah is a professional writer who has worked with students around the globe as a private tutor, workshop leader, and college professor. As a tutor, she has worked with private writing students to grow their skills, confidence, and passion, helping each writer to develop effective, personalized strategies for channeling their creativity and organizing their ideas. Since 2013, Sarah has taught at Writopia Lab, leading creative and expository writing workshops for kids and teens, and recently taught undergraduate playwriting at Hunter College. With Organizational Tutors, Sarah has worked to strengthen executive functioning skills with a number of students with a range of learning profiles, including dyslexia, ADHD, processing issues and reading and writing weaknesses.
- Week 1: Building & Brainstorming — Students will build an essay outline template together, developing a shared language that demystifies terms like “analysis” and “evidence” and clarifies how each element of an essay relates to the others. Students will also use a creative brainstorming exercise to help choose an essay topic that excites them.
- Week 2: Research & Outlining — Now that students have a topic and a template, they’re ready to begin the outlining phase. Students will start by discussing the elements of a strong thesis. As students start filling in their outlines, they will identify the questions they still need to answer with further research.
- Week 3: Giving & Receiving Feedback – Students will share their completed outlines, soliciting feedback from their peers and from our expert tutor on how to strengthen their arguments or clarify their thinking. Now students can begin to write!
- Week 4: One-on-One Meetings — Students will sign up for a supplemental 30-minute window to meet 1:1 with our expert tutor to discuss their essays. Meeting 1:1 with their tutor will address students’ specific writing challenges and help them to implement the lessons of the previous three weeks. After this meeting, students should feel confident in their ability to complete a draft by the next session.
- Week 5: Writers’ Showcase, Workshopping, & Revising — Students will share their full essays and solicit feedback from their peers and from our expert tutor. This will give students an opportunity to see how their has evolved through the writing process, and to use everything they’ve learned about essay writing to offer thoughtful, constructive feedback about their peers’ work.
PLEASE COMPLETE THE FORM BELOW